8 Strawberries Have 140% of a Child’s Daily Vitamin C
- Over 53 percent of seven to nine year olds picked strawberries as their favorite fruit, making it the most popular fruit among children.
- One cup of strawberries is just 55 calories.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family – and each one contains 200 seeds…wow!
June (a short but VERY sweet season!)
Strawberry Storage Tips
Strawberries should be stored in the refrigerator and are best if used within 2-3 days.
Strawberry Prep and Usage
- Wash your strawberries, remove the green tops, then freeze and enjoy them year round!
- Strawberries pair perfectly well with local rhubarb (check out this simple, delicious strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe)
- Strawberries can be savory! Try this sweet AND savory salad featuring 5 local ingredients.
FEATURED RECIPE: Simple Strawberry Popsicle Recipe
INGREDIENTS (♥=Fresh from the Catskills!)
♥2 cups strawberries, chopped
♥2 cups low fat vanilla yogurt
12 small paper cups
12 popsicle sticks
1. Combine strawberries and yogurt. If you want a smoother popsicle, place mixture in a blender first.
2. Fill cups with strawberry yogurt mixture. Cover cups with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
3. Insert popsicle sticks into cups. Place in freezer for at least 4 hours.
4. To remove popsicles from the cups, place in warm water for 1-2 minutes – they will slide ride out of the cups…Enjoy!