Berry Interesting Facts…
- There are over 200 different species of raspberries, this includes blackberries!
- Colors can range from red to yellow to purple to black
- 60-70 pints of berries can be harvested from one 100 foot long row
July through September
Raspberry and Blackberry Storage, Prep, and Usage Tips
- The berries should be stored in the refrigerator in the box they come in, and are best if used within 2-3 days.
- Wash the berries just before using.
- Remove stem caps.
- Look for berries that are bright, uncrushed and free of mold.
- Make sure the box is not overly stained or leaking, a sign of too-ripe berries.
FEATURED RECIPE: Berry Good Catskills Cobbler
INGREDIENTS (♥=Fresh from the Catskills!)
♥2 cups of berries (raspberries or blackberries)
♥2 eggs, well beaten
♥1/2 cup milk
♥10-12 mint leaves (for garnish)
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine berries, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 egg (well beaten) in a greased baking dish.
3. Combine flour, oatmeal, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl.
4. Mix 1 egg (well beaten), milk, melted butter together and stir gently into the flour mixture.
5. Pour the mixture over the berries in the baking dish.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Sources for Facts and Tips