Embrace Your Cheesy Side with Fresh Catskills Cheese
- Cheddar is the most popular natural cheese in the US.
- One ounce of mozzarella cheese has 207 Mgs of calcium.
- Certain cheeses, like Cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, and others, have been shown to help prevent tooth decay!
Cheese Storage, Prep, and Usage Tips
- Refrigerate your cheese in its original packaging.
- After using cheese, wrap it as tightly as possible in plastic wrap or foil to prevent air pockets, and place in an air tight container if you can.
- Cheese typically has a “best if used by” date and not a true “expiration” date. For the best quality and taste, use your cheese before its “best if used by” date.
- Freeze your cheese! It can last indefinitely. Freezing may change the consistency of the cheese, but not its taste. That makes frozen cheese ideal for cooking or baking.
- If shredding your cheese, do it while the cheese is cold!
- When adding cheese to burgers or chicken, add it during the last 2 minutes of grilling or baking. Otherwise it can turn waxy.
FEATURED RECIPE: Jalapeno Veggie Mac n’ Cheese
INGREDIENTS (♥=Fresh from the Catskills!)
♥½ cup of jalapeño peppers, diced
♥½ of a bell pepper, diced
♥1 yellow squash quartered and diced
♥3 carrots, sliced thinly
2 cups of whole wheat pasta (macaroni, penne, bowtie, rotini, heck anything will work)
¼ cup of olive oil
♥1 clove of garlic minced
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flower
♥1½ cups of skim milk
♥2 cups of low-fat cheddar cheese
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper for taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and start to boil a medium pot of water. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil, and lightly coating with olive oil (not from your ¼ cup).
2. Toss your jalapeño, bell pepper, squash, and carrots onto the baking sheet. Then cook for 20 minutes, or until they have softened. Set aside for later use.
3. Once water is boiling, cook your pasta, then drain, and set aside.
4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, cook garlic for 30 seconds. Whisk in flower and cook for a minute. Gradually whisk in your milk and let the mixture thicken slightly. Then remove from heat. Stir in your cheddar cheese until it is completely melted.
5. Add all ingredients (cheese sauce, veggies, pasta, and seasonings) into a casserole dish, and mix. Place under the broiler in your oven (500 degrees Fahrenheit), and cook for 3-4 minutes.
6.Serve and enjoy!