Must-Know Tomato Facts
- The tomato is the state fruit of New Jersey (yes, tomatoes are a fruit!)
- The largest tomato ever grown was 7 lbs. 12 oz in 1986…that record has yet to be broken.
- Scientists believe the first tomatoes came from South and Central America; wild tomatoes are still found in the Andes Mountains.
Beet Storage Tips
To ripen green tomatoes, store in indirect light or in a paper bag. Ripe tomatoes should be kept on the counter – not in the fridge where they will become mealy and mushy.
Tomato Prep and Usage
- Choose plump unblemished tomatoes with a distinct tomato smell
- Green tomatoes will ripen! Don’t pass them up at the market
- Don’t use aluminum foil to store tomatoes or tomato dishes; tomatoes are acidic and can react with the aluminum after a few days creating a metallic taste
FEATURED RECIPE: Best Ever Market Fresh Salsa
INGREDIENTS (♥=Fresh from the Catskills!)
♥2 pint containers of tomatoes (any variety), about 4 cups chopped
♥1 bell pepper, diced
♥1 onion, chopped
♥1 green onion, chopped
♥Half bunch of cilantro, chopped
♥2 garlic cloves, minced
♥1 jalapeno (use protective gloves when chopping)
1 lime, juiced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Serve with tortilla chips.
TIPS FOR MAKING SALSA
-Try substituting a cucumber for the bell pepper, it adds a hint
of sweetness without sacrificing texture
-Add corn: boiled, grilled, or fresh off the cobb!
-Or, for added protein, add in a cup of black beans
-Like spicy salsa? Ask farmers if they offer a hotter pepper, or just add in extra jalapeno