Sullivan Catskills Blueberries are in season! Here are 3 fun facts…
- Blueberries are native to North America
- A half cup of blueberries only has 42 calories
- Blueberries are high in antioxidants and fiber
July and August
Blueberry Storage Tips
Blueberries like breathing room. Store them in the crisper drawer of your fridge with a lower humidity setting. Use within a week to a week and a half.
Blueberry Prep and Usage
- Blueberries are so plentiful at Sullivan County Farmers Markets so freeze bluberries now, to use throughout the year. Some recommend laying them out first on a cookie sheet and placing that in the freezer. It’s up to you!
- You don’t need to thaw blueberries before cooking with them.
- Wash blueberries right before you eat them, instead of before storing them – this ensures you do not damage their thin skin before storing which may cause them to perish faster.
FEATURED RECIPE: Blueberry Salsa
INGREDIENTS (♥=Fresh from the Catskills!)
♥2 cups of fresh chopped blueberries
♥1 cup of whole fresh blueberries
¼ cup of fresh lemon juice
♥3 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro
♥2 seeded and minced jalapeño peppers
1/3 cup of diced red bell pepper
¼ cup of chopped onion
½ teaspoon of kosher salt
Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve…with tortilla chips or crackers!